Sally Morin Personal Injury Lawyers

Home >> Car Accident FAQ

Sally Morin Personal Injury Lawyers
Sally Morin Personal Injury Lawyers

Car Accident FAQ

You've Got Questions, We've Got Answers

What Are The Most Common Types Of Car Accidents?

  • Rear-End Collisions: are easily the most common type of car crash and usually result from a distracted driver failing to yield to a car in front of them in time. Fortunately, rarely are these accidents serious.
  • Single-Vehicle Crashes: are those which involve only one car, and are often caused by younger drivers who slip on ice, spin out of control, or otherwise lose control of the vehicle. Typically these are not viable personal injury cases because they have not been caused by a third party.
  • T-Bone or Cross Traffic Accidents: are those occurring in intersections, and are usually the result of one driver failing turning left without yielding, failing to stop or running a red light. Because these accidents often involve high-speeds, they can be particularly devastating.
  • Clipping or Merging Accidents: are those where one driver sideswipes another car, usually as the result of failing to fully check their blind spots before merging into another lane.
  • Low Speed Accidents: known as fender benders, these are accidents that usually don't involve a lot of damage as long as pedestrians aren't involved.

In California, you are generally required to report a car accident to the police when:

- Anyone is injured (even slightly) or killed.
- Property damage reaches $1,000.
- Any of the drivers are unlicenced or intoxicated.

You must report the accident by calling 911 if anyone is injured or intoxicated.

If the other driver is unlicensed or flees the scene, the accident should be reported to a non-emergency police number.

What Happens If I Am Deemed "Partially" At-Fault For My Accident

California is what is known as a "comparative fault state", which simply means fault can be shared between one or more parties in the accident. If you were not the majority at fault party, you may still be eligible for a partial reward under California law.

I Have Whiplash, Will You Take My Case?

Unfortunately, the answer is no. At Sally Morin Personal Injury Lawyers, our car crash attorneys only represent clients who have received emergency medical treatment. This usually means broken bones, head trauma, or injuries that require surgery.

How Much Does It Cost To Contract A Car Accident Attorney?

There is no upfront cost to work with a car accident attorney. And should we choose to represent you, you won't pay anything unless we win.

Common Mistakes After A Car Accident

  • Failing to get medical attention simply because you lack insurance. Not only is it important for your health, it's important for establishing a timeline to your claim as well.
  • Providing a recorded statement to insurance adjustors.
  • Providing insurance adjustors access to your social security number. They are not entitled to this information and will try to use it to find evidence they can use against you.
  • Failing to speak to a car accident attorney as soon as possible after your case.
  • Do You Represent Other Types Of Accidents?

    Sally Morin Personal Injury Lawyers also represents pedestrianbicyclemotorcycle, and Uber/rideshare accident clients.

    Want More Answers?

    Get a copy of our answers to 64 of the most common questions people have about:

    • Personal Injury Claims
    • Personal Injury Lawyers
    • The Personal Injury Process
    • How to build a strong personal injury case
    • Insurance Coverage in Personal Injury Claims
    • Medical Bills and Treatment
    • Property Damage Claims
    • Fees and costs in a personal injury claim
    • why sally morin law

    Didn't find the Answer?

    Contact Us and We'll get back to You

    We Continue to Stay Open and Operate During the Shelter in Place Order - Learn More