Sally Morin continues her discussion of the three types of special damages you can recover in a personal injury case: property damages, medical damages and loss of earnings damages.

Today, I’m going to elaborate on PROPERTY DAMAGE. Property damage includes:

  • ​The cost to repair or replace your vehicle.

If your vehicle is damaged, you will recover the cost of the repairs. If it was totaled, you will get market value, which is typically something close to the Kelley Blue Book value.

  • ​The costs you incurred due to the loss of use of your vehicle.

You are entitled to the reasonable replacement value of your vehicle for however long it takes to repair or replace your vehicle. If you did not rent another vehicle, you can recover taxi or bus fares incurred because you could not use your vehicle.

  • ​The cost to repair or replace any personal property damaged or destroyed in the accident.

The same goes for personal property that has been damaged or destroyed in the accident. If damaged, you will receive the cost of repairs. If destroyed, you will receive market value for the destroyed item. I’ve had clients who’ve had glasses, laptops, iPads, riding gear, helmets, cellphones, etc. destroyed in traffic accidents.

If you have any questions about a particular personal injury case, please submit your case for review by the experienced personal injury team at Sally Morin Personal Injury Lawyers. We are top-ranked personal injury attorneys with offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Oakland, and San Jose.

This video and accompanying text is not intended to be a source of legal advice for any purpose. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information in this video and text does not constitute a guarantee, warranty or prediction regarding the outcome of your case.

Accident Client

“Last March, my partner was struck by a vehicle while crossing the street. During this difficult time of healing, we knew that bills were going to pile up and his was going to be a long process. After looking at multiple law firms, we knew that Sally Morin Personal Injury Lawyers was going to be the best place to work with. Lauren and her team were patient, supportive and caring during his difficult time. His schedule was always busy with work and doctor appointments that his main source of communication was through email. Lauren and her team made it to where he didn’t have to worry about anything but just sending over the paper work he got from the hospital, and other bill collectors involving his incident and they worried about the rest.

Because of all their help my partner Aaron, was able to heal with less worries on his shoulders. By end of December, everything was settled and we were pleased with the results. I’d like to give a huge thank you to Lauren & the Sally Morin team. If you’re looking for a law firm for your incident, I’d definitely look at this law firm.”

We're here to help with your Personal Injury claim

Check out our Personal Injury FAQ Page to learn more about how the process works.

We Handle Your Personal Injury Accident Claim So You Can Focus on Your Life

After an injury, contact the attorneys at Sally Morin Personal Injury Lawyers. We handle many areas of the law, including pedestrian and car accidents that involve speeding. We believe you should be able to focus on recovering while we handle the legal details.

We truly care about the people of San Jose and all of California. Contact us today for a
free online case evaluation.


It is essential to know your rights after a traffic accident so you can protect yourself and the value of your claim.
This guide will help you:

  • 1Know what to do when dealing with insurance claims, police reports and lawyers.
  • 2Avoid making mistakes that undermine the value of your claim
  • 3Put yourself in a position to get the best settlement possible